Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day of the Program...

Last night we had a "Meet 'n' Greet" a full on skip through childhood with games such as the one where you have to go around the room with thirty other people remembering there names and a fruit with the same first letter. One, I stop listening about three people in. I have not been on a roll with names for a few years now. By the time it gets to me I finished this giant glass of Leffe, somehow mumble through each person's name (actually it's each person telling me their name, and rolling their eyes, their prideful fruit of choice... i.e. Pineapple Patsy, Mango Mary, Apricot Anne). I go with Daikon Dana. The controversy ensues...
"What is a daikon!?"

"Uh, I don't know, a radish...a Chinese root... or Japanese."

Of course there are two girls from Hong Kong there.

"WE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF DAIKON!" "AND...WE'RE FROM HONG KONG!"

Whatever.


D. For what? I still can't think of a fucking fruit. Why has this game suddenly turned into a issue of correctness? It's a child's game. There was one guy, "Coca Cola Carl", c'mon.


Meet with the photo professor. He seems really nice. He invited the group to an opening exhibition of his in another town. I really appreciated seeing his work. Some professors I've had in the past were very elusive about their own work.

But even more interesting, the guy only has one "seeing" eye. The other is crystal blue glass. What? And how come?

The university architecturally is bizarre. I'll have to post photos at some point...






9 comments:

lsw said...

I eat daikons all the time.
They're really good with lollifrons.
Those girls from Asia were just messing with you.

lsw said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lsw said...

Is there an echo in this room?

Alice Carrier said...

OH MY GOD, IT'S OUR PROM NIGHT CAB DRIVER!!!!

also: you are SO totally daikon dana! you're always trying to get me to eat those fucking things!

tell those bitches from hong kong that you've never heard of a hamburger and see if their heads explode.

i love you!

cmu said...

Yeah...we still have those dried daikons in the fridge....there are so many "getting to know you" rituals...I would have thought creative people could come up with something with a little more imagination....I miss your flashes of anger and indignation!
Hey....get your there, their and they're straight...will you? cmu

master_monkey said...

a dried daikon...no way...you are more like a durian...don't laugh...look it up andd tell those two cholitas to look it up as well.

Dana said...

A durian, huh? I like the look, but "an Javanese aphrodisiac...its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock"...really? Thanks, I guess. I'm an acquired taste...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Paul said...

i really like the photo of anne lying in those cement grids, dana!

Paul said...

oops. that last comment was for another post. but don't feel bad about the daikon. it is japanese and these girls are from HK. they aren't sure about what to do with tofu either.